Tuesday 28 June 2016

Healthy snack ideas


We are a nation of snackers. But that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing because as long as we keep crisps and chocolate as treats and eat them in moderation there is nothing wrong with the odd naughty sweet or salty snack as long as we eat a nutritious balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables and wholefoods. It would also be a lie if I didn’t say I ate some crisps or chocolate this week but I did eat some healthier snack options and did add lots of fresh fruit where I could to my snacks.

This blog post should give you alternative and healthy snack ideas which are filling and easy as well as being great for any time of day and night. Because it does help to fill the void and rumbling tummy and I think a great place to start is cereal. Everyone knows that cereal is a great way to break the fast in the morning but it also is a delicious, quick, cheap and convenient way to snack as well. I snacked on cereal a lot last week, and granola is my favorite at the moment, I normally bathe my cereal in soya milk and top it with fresh berries and soya yoghurt. Cereal can easily be jazzed up by adding fruit, nuts or yoghurt and makes it more substantial and interesting so cereal doesn't have to be plain and boring. 
I would recommend topping with cherries or strawberries and Alpro soya Vanilla yogurt is so thick, creamy and luxurious that it becomes a match made in heaven. 
The cereal I had were both from Asda's 'Chosen By You' range and both were very delicious and crunchy, I got the Maple and Pecan crisp and the Strawberry crisp variety too. Ultimately dress your cereal up in anything you like and let me know what you like to put on your cereal in the comments below. 

Another super easy snack idea is normally a lunch time staple. However one of my store cupboard favorites is soup. Soup takes minutes to heat up and is great when you want something hot. One of my favorite flavors is cream of tomato soup and is incredibly cheap and easy to get hold of. Obviously soups with beans, lentils, chunks of vegetables and pasta will be more filling and of more substance and it is important to keep an eye out for salt and added sugar content because a lot of processed soups are full of salt and sugar. If you make a lot of home made soup at home you can easily freeze your soup and keep it in the freezer until you need it. Another great thing about soup is that a lot of them count to your five a day and that is always good to know. 

Yoghurt and fruit is another great snack, much healthier than ice cream but it still can be interesting and is able to be customised with whatever toppings you like. You could crumble biscuits or nuts or spoon some jam and mix it in with the yoghurt and fruit. The yoghurt I have tried was Alpro soya plain and vanilla yoghurt, the plain yoghurt reminded me of plain Greek yoghurt and was really thick and creamy but the vannila flavour was really yummy and delicious.

And my last snack idea is a sandwich, I used Violife dairy free cheese and used salad to add more flavour and texture to my sandwiches such as lettuce, red onion, peppers, cucumber and sweetcorn as well as HP BBQ sauce to add a smoky flavour to the sandwich. Amelia and I have found that Vitalite margarine tastes really natural and is a great Vegan margarine, so we spread the bread with it when we are making sandwiches or toast. We tried a flat thinner bread which is great for making a snack size sandwich, but you can use bread rolls or normal sliced bread, it doesn't make much difference.  

I hope this has helped and given you some simple yet inspiring snack ideas. Listed below are the products I have used and how much I paid for them. I hope you are having a lovely day! If this or any of posts on our blog have inspired you or got you curious about anything please comment below and let us know what you think. 

Products mentioned or pictured:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/crisp/asda-chosen-by-you-maple-pecan-crisp/910001962186 - Maple and Pecan Crisp - £1.98
https://groceries.asda.com/product/crisp/asda-chosen-by-you-strawberry-crisp/910001954794 - Strawberry Crisp - £1.98
https://groceries.asda.com/product/grapes-berries-cherries/asda-growers-selection-strawberries/998058 - Strawberries - £1.50
https://groceries.asda.com/product/grapes-berries-cherries/asda-growers-selection-cherries/910002574727 - Cherries - £2
https://groceries.asda.com/product/dairy-alternatives/alpro-plain-soya-yogurt/910000297653 - Simply Plain Alpro Soya Yoghurt - £1.35
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cheese-slices/violife-original-vegan-slices/910001579904 - Violife sliced cheese - £2.48 


Jasmine

This post is not sponsored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment